While you might not think of crab legs as a “frugal” meal, grabbing a few pounds of them at $4.99/lb is sure a great deal compared to paying $25 or more at a restaurant for less than a pound. We paid only $20 for 4 pounds for our little family feast! While it’s not often you’ll find a great price like this be sure to watch around the holidays and stock up. Usually I’ll find them for $6.99/lb so a little more, but definitely still a lot cheaper than eating out even at that price.
And since my munchkins love crab legs just as much as my husband and I, we’re not left with much choice than to cook them at home unless we’d like to go broke in the process. Take a look at my daughter woofing them down for her birthday…yep, she wanted crab legs for her 3rd birthday!
So without further ado, here is our favorite crab leg recipe. Oh my mouth is watering just thinking about the deliciousness of these bad boys!
- Crab Legs
- Beer (bottle or can)
- Old Bay
- Garlic (minced)
- 1. Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil. It's best to only fill the stock pot about half way to allow for a rise in the water level when you add the crab legs.
- 2. Add beer and enough Old Bay to give the water a "muddy" appearance.
- 3. Boil crab legs for 20 minutes.
- 4. Drain crab legs and place on a large platter or cookie sheet.
- 5. Squeeze lemon juice over crab legs and sprinkle with Old Bay.
- 1. Add about 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and 3 tablespoons of butter to a ramekin for each person.
- 2. Microwave ramekins in 20 second intervals, swirling in between, until the butter melts.
- 3. Add some Old Bay if desired.
- Get crackin', dip, and enjoy!
Join Our Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to join thousands of
readers living on a budget
to create a life they love!
The links in this post may contain affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking one of them. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.